Lentil-rice mix

This is another popular and hearty “mixed polow” usually served with fried or roasted chicken (or ground beef) and considered a casual and convenient dish. Well, I make it in a quite presentable (read fancy) way, without any kind of. Even before I realized how protein rich and nutritious lentil was, I always thought the dish is a perfect vegetarian meal and found it quite hearty on its own. So, my version of “adas polow” is meatless yet simply fancy!

Ingredients (serving 4): Rice, 3 cups. Green lentil” 1 ½ . Onion, 1 big, thinly sliced. Dried seedless raisin ½ cup, washed and dried. Oil: 4-5 tbsp. Turmeric, ¼ tbsp. Ground saffron, 2 teaspoon (1 soaked in 1 tbsp. of hot water for half an hour) salt, pepper and water as needed.

Method: 1. Pick over the lentil, wash and cook in a small pot over medium heat with fresh water and pinch of salt until done but not too soft – this is a key factor: you don’t want mushy lentils. Adjust the cooking time and water so at the end of the cooking process you would not have too much water left. However, if you do get some left, simply drain your lentil, set aside, and keep the water for cooking your rice.

2. Prepare the rice in usual way (soaked in salted water, drained, boiled in lots of water, drained, and steamed cooked for at least one hour). At the stage when you want to mount the rice back in to the pot, mix it with the cooked lentil and follow the rest of the instruction. Note: For this mixed rice, some add a pinch of turmeric to the boiling water, but I prefer the colour of saffron over that of turmeric. So, when I mount the mix back to the pot and just before covering it with the padded lid, I sprinkle a pinch of powdered saffron on the top of the mixed polow. The steam gathered in the pot releases saffron’s taste and colour. While waiting for the rice to be steam cooked, get busy with this last step:

3. In a frying pan stir-fry onion in 2 tbsp. of hot oil until golden (this is your piaz-daagh). Add turmeric and a pinch of salt and pepper and stir for a minute or two. Lastly, add raisins and fry only for a few seconds, just enough to bring out the taste – note that frying raisins for too long make them puffy and too dark and you don’t want that.

4. When the mixed lentil rice is ready to be served, use a large platter and mix it well with 80% of the contents of the pan. Mix the remaining 20% with soaked saffron and use as garnish on the top of the platter. All tastes colors and savory bits of this mix is fairly distributed in the platter, and the very top is only slightly richer.


6 Comments on “Lentil-rice mix”

  1. دست شما درد نکند بوته خانم، بدون گوشت چرخ کرده رسم کجاست؟

  2. bootehBeeta says:

    خواهش میشه ارژنگ جان . راستش “با” گوشت چرخ کرده رو من نمیدونستم رسم کجاست چون در شیراز و بوشهر همیشه عدس پلو رو با مرغ درست میکنند. اما اینکه “بی‌” گوشت و مرغ باشه باید اعتراف کنم رسم من در آوردیه! و به همین دلیل به اشتراک گذشتم که بگم خووووب چیزیه :))؛

  3. لیلا .ع says:

    بوته جان منم طرفدار عدس پلو هستم
    اتفاقا دیروز منم درست کردم اما با ماهیچه چون در خونه ما اگه گوشت رو حذف کنم به جوانان خانه بر میخوره … راستی ایندفعه که درست کردید کمی هم به مایه کشمش و پیاز داغ خرمای بدون هسته اضافه کنید خیلی خوب میشه
    ممنون از این عدس پلوی خوشگل
    شاد باشید

    • bootehBeeta says:

      مرسی‌ لیلا جان. “به جوانان خانه بر میخوره” رو خیلی‌ خوب آمدی :))) درسته این جور احتیاط‌ها مربوط به شناسنامه میشه! چشم حتما با خرما امتحان می‌کنم. حدس میزنم خرما رو به تکه‌های کوچأک باید تقسیم کرد ؟

  4. Nazgol says:

    دست شما درد نکنه. من کوفته‌های ریز مثل کلم پلو هم درست می‌کنم و با عدس میدم لای پلو. برای موادش هم کشمش و پیاز داغ و خرمای ریز کردهٔ سرخ شده و مغز گردوی سرخ شده میریزم. اینطوری هم بد نمی‌شه.

    یک سوال هم داشتم. پیاز داغ رو چطوری اون رنگی‌ در آوردین؟ مال من همیشه یا شل و بی‌ رنگ می‌شه یا اگر بگذارم که خشک بشه از این خیلی‌ تیره تر می‌شه. حدس میزنم به حرارتش ربط داره. می‌شه اینو توضیح بدین لطفا؟ خیلی‌ ممنون.

    • bootehBeeta says:

      نازگل جان خیلی‌ ممنون از توضیح روش خودتون برای عدس پلو. اضافات خرما و گردو بنظر خیلی‌ هیجان انگیز میاد. حتما امتحان می‌کنم. برای پیاز داغ خشک و ترد هم یک پست جداگانه داده‌ام چندی پیش که الان لینکش رو توی متن عدس پلو اضافه کردم. خیلی‌ آسونه. فقط کمی‌ حوصله و وقت میگیره:) موفق باشید


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s