One-Bowl Vegan, GF Fruits-Nut MuffinsPosted: 15 November 2018 Filed under: GF Fruits-Nut Muffins, One-Bowl Vegan | Tags: Fruit-Mixed muffins, gluten free, vegan, walnuts Leave a comment
I ran into this gluten free, vegan recipe for carrot-banana-apple-walnuts muffins on Minimalist Baker and absolutely loved it. The list of ingredients may look long, but the preparation is much easier than your average cake or muffin and the result is tender, fruity sweet muffins with the added chewiness of walnuts and oats.
I tried both non-vegan (with 1 egg) and vegan (with flax eggs) versions and both turned equally nice. Actually, I was very excited to have found a substitute for egg and quite impressed by how well flax eggs worked to stick everything together in these muffins.
Note #1. The current recepie link is slightly different from the original one, the one that I followed. In Persian version of this post, I have included the original recepie – In Persian Of course!
Note#2. You could either follow the current, above linked recipe on Minimalist Baker, which I have not tried but assume to be even better, OR follow the old recipe which I HAVE tried and photographed. Here it is:
- 1 1/2 batches flax seed (which translate to 1 1/2 flax seed dissolved in 3 3/4 water, stir and let sit for 5 min till the mixture is a thick sticky goo like egg)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup mashed very ripe banana
- 1/4 cup agave nectar or maple syrup (or honey if not vegan)
- 1/2 cup grated apple
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup plain almond milk (unsweetened)
- 1 heaping cup (packed) grated carrot
- 2/3 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/2 almond meal (almond flour)
- 1 heaping cup gluten free flour blend
- 1/4 cup raw walnuts (I sometimes use sunflower & pumpkin seeds on half of my batch).
- Prepare flax seed in a large mixing bowl and preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190C). (or 350 if you have an old oven)
- Prepare muffin tin with liners or lightly grease them.
- To flax eggs, add mashed banana, agave or maple syrup, olive oil and whisk to combine.
- Next add grated apple, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and whisk to combine.
- Add almond milk and stir.
- Add grated carrot and stir,
- Add oats, almond meal, and gluten free flour blend and stir.
- Divide evenly among 12 muffin tins, filling them all the way up to the top, and top with crushed walnuts (optional)
- Bake for 32-36 minutes, or until deep golden brown and toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. When you press on the top it shouldn’t feel too spongy, so don’t be afraid of over baking! The GF blend just takes longer to bake.
- Remove from oven and let set in the pan for 15 minutes. Then flip on their sides still in the pan to let cool completely. *Note: In My oven, I bake in 350F for 25 minutes and it looks and tastes perfect.